Saturday, August 9, 2014

Flash back Friday #11

It's been a while... 

#11 The Villa Carlotta



I've always had a special place in my heart for the Villa Carlotta. My mom's name was Charlotte, and as a pet name my dad used to call her as "Carlotta". So since I was a child I always thought that it was her building. 

For me, that building always stood out. Even during the 90s when the building looked like a crack den, it was something that always caught my gaze. While people have come and go, and moons waxed and waned, time flew by. However despite all that, this building has always remained its image of "Old Hollywood".

Built in 1926, the building was owned by Eleanor Ince who was the wife of Thomas Ince who mysteriously died on a yacht owned by William Randolph Hearst. Rumor has that in a deal with Eleanor Ince, Hearst paid for the building as well as the Scientology center owned by her across the street in order to apologize for shooting and killing her husband on that yacht. 



Various forms of celebrities have moved into the place. However there isn't much information about them living here. The building has remained far from the history books other than the notorious rumor with Eleanor Ince.

Another rumor is that the Villa Carlotta and the Scientology Center have a underground passageway where people used to use to smuggle booze during prohibition. If you ask anyone there, supposedly they cannot deny that it exists. I haven't done it, so that is why I'm calling it a rumor.


Like most famous old buildings, the Villa Carlotta has gone through some rough patches. The penthouse supposedly began rotting, and many other tenants had to do a renewal to make their apartments functional. However this building is quite strong, and is still contained its beautiful image. 


Through some research I found a Facebook page asking to save the Villa Carlotta. Like many apartment buildings in Los Angeles, the Villa Carlotta has been bought by a company focusing on apartment owning. The belief with the owners of the Villa Carlotta is that there is a threat that the building might be torn down. I haven't researched if the building is a historical monument yet, to deny this theory, but you can read more by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment