Sunday, May 4, 2014

Flashback Fridays # 5

Ok.

Ok.

stop.

I know. 

I know I fucked up. 

Look I know I needed to write last week and I didn't. Truthfully I fell under the demons of boredom. Nothing inspired me last week, so I didn't write shit. However I know it is my fault. I am the reason I don't get inspired because I don't do anything. I have all this free time and all I do is just sit and watch tv.

So I think next week I'll try to be more assertive.

But for right now I'll do a much needed Flashback Friday



#5 Lupe Vélez









Oh Lupe, Lupe, Lupe, how I adore you. I adore everything about you. I love that you were a civil rights protestor, I love that you didn't give a shit what others thought about you, and I love that the rumors about your death became a notorious and compelling story that explains why hollywood is utterly fascinating.




Lupe was pre marilyn, pre Rita, and she was one of the major stars that made a successful transition from silent to talkie. She was one of the major stars that worked with the best directors, and she began to create the temperamental and explosive Latina role that seems to be re-ignited with the character "Gloria" from Modern Family. She became a big success with some of her most memorable films, Lady of the Pavements (1928), The Wolf Song (1929), Palooka (1933), Laughing Boy (1934), Hollywood Party (1934) and the series, Mexican Spitfire, from the early 1940s.

However that was not the fame that stuck with her. When you talk about Lupe, a toilet is usually what comes to mind. The rumors of the porcelain statue becoming the ultimate demise for the starlet has continued to this day. 

She had an affair with Harold Maresch, that's for sure. She became pregnant and she wanted him marry her so they could have a family. He said no. He was a struggling actor that didn't need the bad publicity. His girlfriend even sued him saying that he would marry her. Lupe gave everything up for him, and he took it and ran.

Having nothing, she felt ending it all wouldn't be a loss. She wrote,
To Harald: May God forgive you and forgive me, too; but I prefer to take my life away and our baby's, before I bring him with shame, or killin' him.
Lupe.
She had one last dinner with her friends then overdosed on 500 Seconal pills. She expected it to be it, but stories made that her death would last a lifetime.





There are so many rumors on how she was found. One was that she woke up vomiting non-stop and slipped on her own vomit and smacked her head on the toilet. Another is that she bashed her head on the toilet. A newspaper of that time said she was found in her bed filled with flowers.

Huffington Post recently shared this police photo of the deceased star saying she was found on the floor. While this logically makes sense there is one issue that Huff Post didn't acknowledge.

During that time, the LAPD was EXTREMELY corrupt. There is a reason that there are murder/death mysteries from the Golden Era. It was because the LAPD was faker than the "news" on fox news. When celebrities died in an scandalous way, many studios fixed that issue. If a celebrity died, the studios would get to the body first and throw away the incriminating items they owned. In order to keep quiet and to not investigate that issue, the LAPD was usually paid off by the studios.

Lupe was probably moved. Whatever happened to her she was moved in a way to look like she was lying comfortably in her bed. If you overdosed, you would probably be sprung on the floor, not looking like you took a nap. 






Whatever happened is still a mystery to me. I really don't think it's "solved". However I don't want it to be solved. Lupe's story is the epitome of Hollywood, and is what I love about LA. She deserves it all, and that's why she is #5. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment